Saturday, August 8, 2026

PURANI YAADEIN-BHARI DILLI - A DELHI OVERFILLED WITH OLD MEMORIES

Wenger's century brought back memories of visits to Connaught Place in the 1950s. My association with Delhi is even older.

The first story is one as narrated to me 'cause I was too little to remember. In 1940, my father had a job in Delhi and he, Mummy and baby me, all of two years, lived in Lachhu Singh Ka Katra in Chandni Chowk area. A large number of our small Suryadwaj Brahmin community used to reside in that locality named after our ancestor Lachhu Singh since ancient times. One morning when all were busy, I found the front door open and, possessed by a wandering spirit, strolled out of the house. Shortly, my absence was noted and there was panic at home. Relatives were asked to fan out in all directions and finally, one saw me being carried by a Sardarji. "Hey, that's our Baby", said the relative. I readily went into his arms and Sardarji was convinced I was in known hands. Sardarji said he had picked me up just as a tram was approaching. What if....we won't go there. I am here to tell the tale and many more!

The earliest visit to Delhi I personally recall was in 1948 with Pitaji and Mataji. The latter's younger sister lived in Lachhu Singh Ka Katra and we came to spend some time with her and her family. The high point of that trip was watching the historic Cricket Test Match at Feroz Shah Kotla ground which was not only the first of the series against West Indies but the first in India after independence. West Indies (WI) had a strong batting team with George Headley known as the Black Bradman, and two Ws, Everton Weekes and Clyde Walcott. (The third W, Frank Worrell, was yet to make his debut!). Headley failed but WI ran up a huge score of 631 with centuries by Walcott, Gomez, Weekes and Christiani. Though India failed to save the follow-on which was then at 150 run lead, they made a decent reply of 454 led by the Army officer, Hemu Adhikari, who scored an unbeaten century, and useful contributions from KC Ibrahim, Rusi Modi and Lala Amarnath. The four contributed in the second innings as well with Adhikari again remaining not out and India played for a draw with 220 for 6. 

Incidentally, I came to know Major Hemu Adhikari when he was an instructor in the National Defence Academy and I was a cadet 1955-58. 

From 1948 to 1955, Delhi was a frequent haunt starting with the first Republic Day Parade on 26 January 1950. There was a small enclosure for kids and I was seated in it. Fond of comics, I had brought one with me and was reading it in the gaps between the marching of contingents. The next day there was a piece in the Hindustan Times saying a kid was more interested in the exploits of Captain Marvel than in the Parade. There was no identification but I am certain the reporter meant me as the item mentioned one kid. I was certainly guilty and didn't see anyone else with a comic. 

In 1953, my School, St. Xavier's, Jaipur, brought our class to Delhi for the Indian Railway Centenary Exhibition. It was indeed fun for me for two specific reasons. Firstly, there was an Entertainment Park with many attractions including a mini train on which I took many rides. Then Coca Cola made its debut in India and I drank about 25 bottles a day at four annas (25 Paise) apiece every day during my stay.

On return to Jaipur, my class teacher, Reverend Father Pinto, asked me to write a piece about the Exhibition for the School magazine. With great enthusiasm, I penned an article extensively covering the Entertainment Park and my love for Coca Cola. I got a real dressing down from Fr. Pinto who wondered if I had even seen the main Exhibition at all. My piece was rejected!

That was the period when I discovered Connaught Place, Wenger's, Marques and co., et al.

1955 saw two important visits to Delhi. The first was in early-January to appear for the UPSC exam for entry into the NDA. Though selected in the written exam as well as Services Selection Board interview,  till mid-July I had not received any intimation, so I came to Delhi for admission to St. Stephen's for BA(Hons) in Economics. The Principal accepted my application and asked me to pay the fee immediately as the academic session had already commenced. I requested for half an hour's time and ran to a public phone booth to try and contact Masarji, Deputy Military Secretary in Army HQ, to check on the NDA status. Miraculously, I got through not once but twice and was told in the second call that my call papers had been sent to Jaipur. Goodbye St. Stephen's, Economics and perhaps Foreign Service, hello NDA and the Navy!

Pitaji, on retiring as Judge, Rajasthan High Court in 1961, was offered a job in the Central Government Finance Ministry and allotted house no.1, Teenmurti Lane, sharing the boundary wall with Prime Minister, Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru. That is where I met Akhila aka Binno, then a gangly 14-year old, for the first time, when I was on leave in Delhi. She and her family were also in Delhi from Bijnor and Mummy invited them over obviously with future in mind!

Vinnie Mama was posted in NHQ and staying with Pitaji and Mataji as well. The third Cricket test between India and England took place at Feroz Shah 13-18 December and both of us went to see it. In the first innings, India scored 466 with Jaisimha and Manjrekar recording centuries. At the end of the third day, England were 256 for 3 with Barrington on an unbeaten century and Ted Dexter, the England Captain, on 45 not out. 16 December was a break day on which it started raining. It thinned to a mild drizzle overnight and we went to the ground on 17th hoping that play would resume. As we were walking to our seats, we saw a guy with some people gathered around him. We asked him what was happening and he replied, "You know what Dexter said, 'I AM NOT GOING TO PLAY ON THIS GROUND'" apparently imitating Dexter's aristocratic demeanour and accent as if he had heard Dexter first-hand. That became a joke between Vinnie Mama and me and whenever we met, one of us would say, "You know what Dexter said...."

In June 1965, I was picked up by Admiral Chatterji, Commandant National Defence College, as his Flag Lt and moved in with my grandparents. The 1965 India-Pakistan war broke out in September and the authorities dug trenches in the large front lawn of our house. We used to sleep on the lawn and on a couple of occasions when air raid sirens sounded,  I forced my reluctant old grandparents to wake up and climb down into the trenches!

Pitaji's tenure came to an end in December while my cousin Manjula's wedding was scheduled for early-January 1966. Pitaji had to hand over his house but as a staff of NDC, I was entitled to accommodation in Raksha Bhavan on Man Singh Marg. As the NDC was on a break between the old and the new courses, I, a bachelor, got a large 3-bedroom flat allotted and shifted in with my grandparents and pet dog, Lucky. After attending Manjula's wedding, my grandparents left for Jaipur and the flat was obviously too big for me. Shift to a Mess seemed inevitable.

Then I got an idea. The rear of NDC has a big lawn surrounded by wings on either side with a number of rooms which were lying vacant. Lunch is part of the daily routine so the College has a kitchen and catering staff. A residential suite already existed for guest speakers if they wished to stay in the premises. Why not convert some more rooms into residential suites and shift in one of them?

I sought approval of the new Commandant, Air Marshal Rajaram, and he readily agreed. So Lucky and I moved into the new premises and for the rest of the year till my transfer back to the Navy, we were Lords of the magnificent mansion.

Here I must pay a heartfelt tribute to the two Commandants of NDC that I had the privilege and good fortune to serve under, Admiral Chatterji and Air Marshal Rajaram. They were outstanding leaders and exceptionally brilliant officers.

Visits to Delhi in the next five years were few and far between confined to some leave and temporary duty. Whenever I came, Vijji Malhotra, posted in NHQ, and his wife Rita insisted I stay with them in their Defence Colony house. An additional attraction was Vijji's music system comprising of an Akai tape deck and booming hi-fi speakers on which I would pound out Carlos Santana's "Evil Ways" at full volume again and again.

February 1972 and I came to Jaipur on a well-deserved break after the war. Mummy had been invited by her close friend Savitriji to the wedding of her niece, Bharti, with Yogesh Deveshwar in Delhi on 17 February. Mummy suggested we go to Delhi to attend the wedding and I readily agreed. Little did I know what Mummy had in mind. Unknown to me and Akhila, Mummy had conspired with Akhila's father to quietly come to the wedding and take it from there. Well, I saw Akhila, now no more gangly but tall, pretty and graceful, and the rest is history!

These 'yaadein' are more than 50 years old. Afterwards, I had two postings in NHQ and a civilian job after retirement which led to finally settling down in Delhi over 36 years ago, so there is so much more. I'll call that new and relive with just the old for now.

That our daughter, Shumita, is married to Bhartiji and Yogiji's son, Gaurav, is another story!








No comments:

Post a Comment